"desktop-base" and Simplified Desktop Installation
September 25, 2016
An update today has addressed issue #292 - installation of desktop environments should be (a lot) easier now.
So what is "desktop-base"?
desktop-base is a "bridge" package that forms a common basis for all desktop environments (the meta-packages discussed below, to be more precise) to rely on, by:
- Depending on all necessary Xorg/Wayland runtime;
- Depending on a default system font, in our case,
- Containing our default wallpapers, earlier shown here;
Forming such basis may (to some extent) avoid confusion when users try and install a desktop environment - from the "base" variant, or from another desktop environment. Common problems that users may run into when trying to install a desktop environment may include that:
- The user may not know what to install for Xorg input and video drivers;
- The user may not know that some basic fonts should be installed before UIs may render properly;
- The user may not know what collection of packages may be necessary for running some desktop environments;
In addition to what we did with the
desktop-base package, we have also created some meta-packages for common desktop environments that we ship:
cinnamon-metafor Cinnamon desktop;
plasma-metafor KDE/Plasma desktop;
mate-metafor MATE desktop;
Installing the packages above should land you with a fully working desktop environment, avoiding all the hassel on the way.